Friday, October 08, 2004

 

Italy superimposed on southern California

Picture(5)[1].jpg

From the moment I arrived in America, everyone told me that Los Angeles was horrible, that I would really like SFrancisco but would hate LA, so I had convinced myself that I would definitely like it. And indeed I arrive and am immediately enthusiastic: yes, this is the American city, the impossible city, it's so enormous, and since I only enjoy being in huge cities it is just right for me. It is as long as if the area between Milan and Turin were just one single city stretching north as far as Como and south as far as Vercelli.

Italo Calvino - Hermit in Paris


Now, of course, LA sretches roughly the equivalent of from just south of Rome to the Arctic circle, and European intellectuals spend most of the year here working on development deals.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?